Harvey Charles Addison
Warrant Officer
Army of the United States
Ojai, California
October 29, 1947 to June 25, 1968
HARVEY C ADDISON is on the Wall at Panel W55, Line 32

Harvey C Addison
ARGT-12THAVNGROUP.png ABN-214THAVNBN.gif 240ahc.gif

Harvey C Addison


25 Jun 2008

It has been 40 years today, my friend. You were like a brother. I will see you on the other side. God bless...

From a close friend,
Bob Barauskas

A Note from www.VirtualWall.org

On 25 June 1968 the 240th Assault Helicopter Company was tasked with conducting a troop lift for a Royal Thai Army unit moving into an area about 11 kilometers southeast of Bien Hoa. Eleven UH-1H Hueys were involved - a command and control (C&C) aircraft and ten lift ships. Since the weather was marginal the C&C ship departed first to recon the assault area and found that the weather in the operating area was acceptable. He directed the ten lift ships to depart BEARCAT base for the assault point. The subsequent accident investigation says

"During take off, climb out and enroute to the area of operation the flight encountered fog, clouds and haze that restricted visibility. The flight of ten lift helicopters proceeded northwest from Bearcat at an altitude of 1000 feet in a staggered right formation until over the area of operation. The flight leader (Blue 1) had visual contact with the command and control aircraft and gunships, but stated that the command and control aircraft did not have the flight in sight. After proceeding northwest of the area of operations, the flight leader informed the command and control aircraft of his location and that he was encountering clouds at 1000 feet. He did not have visual contact with the ground or the command and control aircraft at that time. He informed the command and control aircraft he was going to establish a left hand orbit, as he was passing the area of operations. The command and control ship acknowledged the left orbit and suggested the flight go to 900 feet as the weather was better at that altitude. The flight leader established a standard turn to the left and descended to 900 feet, after turning from northwest through south and east to a heading of 060 degrees he entered a cloud. Immediately upon emerging from the cloud the flight leader saw an unidentified helicopter approaching at his immediate right front at the same flight level."

The approaching aircraft was the C&C ship. BLUE 1 and the C&C ship both took immediate evasive action and missed each other - but BLUE 2's rotors hit the C&C ship's fuselage, which promptly exploded. BLUE 4, immediately behind BLUE 2, sustained severe damage as it flew through the debris, while the remaining eight Hueys avoided damage.

Twenty-nine men - 12 240th AHC aircrew and 17 Thai soldiers - were aboard the three Hueys (tail numbers 66-16601, 66-16592 and 66-16206); all died in the accident:

Copyright © Kenneth J. Davis

Contact Us © Copyright 1997-2015 www.VirtualWall.org, Ltd ®(TM) Last update 02/24/2015