Notes from The Virtual Wall
From the 1/13 Marines Command Chronology for Aug 1968:
"At 180155H August 1968, an enemy force of unknown strength attacked the Mortar Battery position in vicinity of Cao Dei peninsula. The attack was initiated with approximately 80-100 82mm mortar rounds, followed immediately by sapper attacks on defensive position, communications facilities, and command and control facilities. A reaction force engaged the enemy force as they were departing the position. Seven personnel of Mortar Battery and 2 OPCON personnel from 1st Field Artillery Group were killed in this action and one 155mm How (TD) was severely damaged. Seven (7) enemy KIA were located within the position area after the action was complete. Intelligence received subsequent to the attack indicated the enemy suffered an additional 5 KIA and 8 WIA during this action, however, enemy casualties for the month do not reflect this as this information could not be confirmed."
The nine men were
Pfc Norman Eversgerd's brother, SP4 Marlin C. Eversgerd, US Army, had been killed in action on 19 March 1967 during the battle at Fire Support Base Gold (also known as the Battle of Suoi Tre).
- HQ Btry, 1st Bn, 11th Marines:
- Pfc Kenneth M. Baldwin, Grafton, IA
- HQ Btry, 1st Fld Arty Grp, 11th Marines:
- Mortar Btry, 1st Bn, 13th Marines:
- Sgt Robert Arnold, Tampa, FL
- LCpl Daniel Cardenas, Fullerton, CA
- LCpl Sherman L. Walters, Philadelphia, PA
- Pfc Charles T. Belasco, New York, NY
- Pfc John C. Bieneman, Wheeling, IL
- Pfc Robert A. McAllister, Tinley Park, IL (Silver Star)
- Pfc Lewis W. Page, Carmi, IL