Jack Walter Brunson

Chief Warrant Officer
Army of the United States
14 March 1949 - 31 May 1971
Sinclairville, New York
Panel 03W Line 059



131st Avn Co
Jack W Brunson

Army Aviator

Air Medal, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Jack Walter Brunson

22 May 2003

My name is John Cole (U.S. Army Major, Retired). Jack and I started flight school together in Texas in 1969. Our wives lived together, sharing a trailer, while Jack and I lived in the barracks. We went on to Fort Rucker, AL where Jack was sent to fixed wing training (I believe in Savannah, GA). I went to RVN in July of 1970 and was medevaced out in March 1971; was released back to active duty in August 1971.

I had heard Jack was an MIA but never knew what his status was until I visited the wall in Washington DC, and saw his name ... that was 1992. I would like to find out what happened to Jack in Vietnam/Laos, if he was ever found, and the status of his wife. They were neat people, we had a lot of fun with them. I remember Jack always smiling - I miss him.

From a classmate and friend,
John B. Cole
3803 Bonnielake Court, West Richland, Wa 99353

26 Jun 2004

Jack and his observer, Al Musil, were interred at Arlington on May 28, 2004. Full military honors were accorded.

Rest in Peace

From a friend and fellow "Hawk" pilot,
Dale Robertson

10 Sep 2006

Dear Mr. Cole,

I have been loving and remembering Jack W. Brunson since 1974. That is when I bought his bracelet at a MASH fair. I have worn it ever since.

I found out recently that his remains had been found and returned to America. I am very ill and would like Mr. John B. Cole to have it now as a remembrance of his friend.

Nedina Meria Williams
3901 Northside Drive Apt 11T, Macon, Ga. 31210

Notes from The Virtual Wall

On 31 May 1971, WO2 Jack W. Brunson, pilot, and Captain Clinton A. Musil, observer, crewed an OV-1A (tail number 59-2615) as the lead aircraft in a flight of two on a photo/visual recon mission near the town of Tchepone in Savannakhet Province, Laos. The Tchepone area was a major complex on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, and had been targeted by ARVN ground forces during Operation Lon Sam 719 in Feb/Mar 1971.

At about 2:15 PM, Brunson completed his fifth pass over the target area and entered a steep left turn. His wingman lost site of Brunson's aircraft, reestablishing visual contact only as Brunson impacted the side of a mountain. The OV-1A exploded on impact, with the weckage engulfed and totally destroyed by fire.

Brunson's wingman reported that Brunson had not reported any malfunctions or other problems before crashing and had not spotted parachutes. There was no evidence that the OV-1A had been hit by enemy fire. Immediate aerial search and rescue efforts failed to establish contact with either crewman. In view of the absence of any indication that either crewman had ejected from the aircraft it was concluded that Brunson and Musil died in the crash.

Hostile ground forces in the area prevented insertion of a ground team to inspect the crash site and retrieve the remains of the crew. As of 22 May 2003, Captain Musil's and Warrant Officer Brunson's remains have not been repatriated.

- Update -

The remains of WO2 Brunson and Captain Musil have been repatriated:
  • Captain Musil: repatriated 17 Sep 2001; identification announced 26 Aug 2003
  • CW2 Brunson: repatriated 14 Feb 1995; identification announced 04 Mar 2004

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
a classmate and friend,
John B. Cole
3803 Bonnielake Court, West Richland, Wa 99353

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index B
NY State Index . Panel 03W
131ST AVN CO Index


With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 22 May 2003
Last updated 10/01/2006