Dennis Ray Carter

Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps
02 May 1947 - 12 September 1974
Lomita, California
Panel 10E Line 053


Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Dennis Ray Carter

24 Nov 2003

I was born the day you died. You are in my heart forever and I will never be forget you. I am looking for more information and possibly a picture. Please, anyone who knows anything contact me at .

Did I mention we also have the same middle name.... Thank you for everything you did for our country.

Leandra Rae Preston

03 Dec 2005

I'm an Australian, a former soldier, married to an Aussie Vietnam veteran (Army Combat Engineer).

I signed on to Operation Just Cause when we lived in California and asked to be linked to a Marine as our son-in-law was a Gunny in 1st Force Recon.

Dennis Ray Carter was the person chosen and each year on the anniversary of his death/disappearance we light a candle in his honour.

I have never been able to contact any of this Marine's family but if anyone knows them, I would really appreciate you letting them know that even here, on the other side of the world, and in the year 2005, he is not forgotten. If anyone wishes to email with information or an update, I would like to hear from them.

God Bless America - and all the service people who are currently serving in Iraq,
with thanks from Kim.

Kim and James Straker
6 Meadow Road, Reesville Via Maleny, QLD 4552 Australia

25 Dec 2006

I was just given an MIA bracelet with Sergeant Carter's name on it. It is Christmas morning 2006. Before all the festivities with the rest of my family begin, I thought I should sit down and give thanks to one of many heros who were never properly thanked. I will wear this bracelet faithfully and not a day will go by when I won't think of Sergeant Carter. Thank you and God bless you, our troops and this great country.

Mickey Kellogg
P. O. Box 133, Williamsburg, Ma. 01096

A Note from The Virtual Wall

The POW Network reports the disappearance of four Marines as follows:

On the night of 27/28 August 1966, a four-man fire team from 1st Platoon, Kilo 3/1 Marines, was assigned to set up an ambush site about 500 meters south of their platoon night defensive position near Hoa Hai village just south of Danang.

The fire team departed at 3:00 am with instructions to relocate in the same general area or return to their platoon patrol base in the event their ambush site was compromised, and in any case to return no later than 9:00 am that morning. The team failed to return as scheduled, and an immediate search was instituted by Kilo Company personnel but without results. A larger-scale effort was conducted by the 3rd Battalion between 29-31 August, but still without results. On 04 Sep, Kilo Company Marines located part of an American wrist watch and PFC Bodenschatz' identification tags and intensified the search in that area, but no further trace was found. On 13 Sep the Battalion cordoned a large area centered on the Marines' last known location, assembling, screening, and interrogating everyone within the cordon. No additional information concerning the four Marines was obtained.

The 3/1 Command Chronology for August 1966 contains the following entry:

"At 281900H [7pm, 28 Aug], a fire team patrol/ambush from 1st platoon, Company K did not return at the scheduled time from its ambush site in grid square BT0667. At 1915H a squad was dispatched to search out the area for the missing fire team, returning at dark without success. The following day two companies conducted a thorough search within grid square 0667 and within 4000 meters of this area with negative results. Adjacent units were notified of the missing fire team, and in turn conducted an extensive search of those areas bordering the 3/1 TAOR. At this time all searching parties have been unsuccessful. An agent reported that the fire team had been attacked by hand grenades and three Marines were killed. However, no evidence of graves has been discovered. A continued effort is being made to obtain more information on this incident."
The August and early September operations logs contain a number of entries regarding the searches for the four MIAs, but with no results. The Virtual Wall staff did not find any mention of recovery of Pfc Bodenschatz's dog tags or any personal effects in the ops logs.

A Review Board was convened and considered the available information. The Battalion commander's final determination was that the four Marines were "probably captured", but in the absence of proof they were classed as Missing in Action. Eventually the Secretary of the Navy approved Presumptive Findings of Death for the four (ranks shown are those held when the PFoD was issued):

  • SSgt Robert L. Babula, Indiana, PA (PFoD 11/07/1974)
  • SSgt John E. Bodenschatz, Los Angeles, CA (PFoD 01/21/1975)
  • SSgt Dennis R. Carter, Lomita, CA (PFoD 09/12/1974)
  • Sgt Robert C. Borton, Benton Harbor, MI (PFoD 08/24/1977)
On 08 Feb 1993 the Vietnamese allowed repatriation of a group of human remains. Between May 1993 and June 1996 the Central Identification Laboratory identified six missing Americans among the remains, including Robert C. Borton. However, Borton's family refused to accept the identification. The other three men have not been repatriated.

Dennis R. Carter

The photo shown above is a "boot camp" photograph - regretably the only available photograph of Dennis R. Carter.

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
one who remembers,
Leandra Rae Preston

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index C
CA State Index . Panel 10E

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 24 Nov 2003
Last updated 02/24/2007