Stephen Anthony De Santis

Chief Warrant Officer
Army of the United States
07 July 1946 - 12 September 1969
Waterbury, Connecticut
Panel 18W Line 074


Army Aviator

Air Medal, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Stephen Anthony De Santis

17 Aug 2003

Stephen, our hearts were broken on 9/12/69 when we lost you, Steve Hargrave, Larry Jackson and Richard Sawran. Please know that you are thoughtof often and that your memory will live as long as we and the "Wall" live.

From a friend of the 129th AHC,

06 Jul 2008

Remembering our brother, Steve,
on what would have been his 62nd birthday.
We will never stop missing you.
Your spirit is always with us.

"He was a man, take him for all in all,
I shall not look upon his like again."
Hamlet,Act 1, Scene 2
- William Shakespeare -

From his sister,
Jayne O'Donnell
E-Mail will be forwarded by the

Notes from The Virtual Wall

Four men of the 129th Assault Helicopter Company died when their UH-1H (hull number 67-17257) went down: At about 2130 12 Sep 69, they left from Lane AHP on a mission to pick up one VC/NVA rallier from the Korean 11th Company (Cavalry) Tactical Operations Center and fly the rallier to the ROK hospital. The aircraft arrived at the 11th Company TOC at approximately 2155 hours, embarked three Korean servicemen and the VC/NVA rallier, and departed at 2205 hours.

After take-off, the crew contacted Phu Cat approach control and notified them that they had gone into IFR conditions, requesting radar vectors to VFR conditions. The pilot reported his location as over the Cha Rang Valley (170 degrees off Phu Cat AFB) at 5,000 feet and requested a priority radar vector for a Ground Controlled Approach into Phu Cat AFB. The Phu Cat controller had a radar contact about 7 miles out on the 170 radial but was unable to make positive identification. The UH-1 aircraft commander reported encountering severe turbulence. At 2212 hours Phu Cat control instructed the UH-1 to turn inbound to the beacon and climb to 6000 feet. In his last communication with the controller the pilot rogered the controller's instruction. After radio contact was lost, Dust-Off and gunships were launched but weather conditions did not permit the search aircraft to arrive at the scene until 0030 hours. The UH-1 had impacted on the side of a mountain at 1990 feet, 125 feet below the crest of the mountain.

All eight men - the four crewmen, three Korean servicemen, and the VC/NVA - died in the crash.

They are remembered on
Don Miller's 129th AHC
Mark Jackson's 129th AHC

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
his sister,
Jayne O'Donnell
E-Mail may be forwarded via the

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index D
CT State Index . Panel 18W
129TH AHC Index

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 17 Aug 2003
Last updated 07/26/2008