Alan Wendell Gunn
Chief Warrant Officer
Army of the United States
San Antonio, Texas
May 28, 1948 to June 05, 1978
(Incident Date February 12, 1968)
ALAN W GUNN is on the Wall at Panel 39E, Line 6

Alan W Gunn
armyseal.gif usarv.gif ABDE-44THMEDBDE.png

These men served their country honorably and well, giving the ultimate sacrifice while carrying out a humanitarian mission. Though their memories reside in their homeland in the minds of their loving families and friends, their remains - if any still exist - will lie anonymously on foreign soil, another part of the sad reality of war.
- Robert Destatte -

A memorial from Capt. Jerry Lee Roe's cousin,
Sandy Kilgo
12 Mar 2002

18 Feb 2003

I don't know what to say, Alan, except "Thank you". You were my friend and I miss you and I care about you and I love you. I pray that you now live with God's peace.

See ya.
Mark Roden

13 Dec 2003

I am not a veteran. I am a 'Gunn' by marriage. I just surfed into your site looking for information on a 'Lee Alan Gunn', an Army and Air Force vet who died in the 1950's. You have a very nice memorial to Alan Wendell Gunn. I am sorry that he died and under these circumstances. I cannot imagine the pain and sorrow of continuing after someone died missing-in-action. May Alan's soul and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in the peace of Christ. May God release to all the families of MIA/POW's any previously undisclosed information about their deceased. In Jesus's Name I pray. Thank you for sharing your story.

From one who remembers.
E-mail address is not available.

31 Mar 2004

This is a nice tribute to CWO Alan Gunn. I'm glad someone took the time. I have visited the Wall in DC and my heart still breaks for those we have lost.

I have worn CWO Gunn's POW bracelet since 1972 and still to this day I wear it. I was just a young girl of 22 when I got it in Sandusky, Ohio from Kent State University. I was not a student there, only visiting a friend. It is one of two that I wore. I had great hopes of returning it to him someday as I did the first one to its owner but unfortunately I have not had that pleasure. I have thought about sending it to his family but it has been such a part of me that I have not been able to let it go, perhaps because I still have 'hope'.

For Alan's family, I wish you peace. And if I never have the courage to return this to you, it will be in my Will that my daughter accomplish this unfinished task for me.

Lena O'Kelly, Houston, Tx
(now a resident of North Georgia)

2 Jul 2004

My father is Alan Gunn's cousin. They're related through their mothers. All my life, I have heard about "our cousin who is MIA", and I am following in my father's footsteps in trying to bring Alan home.

I would like to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart, on my family's behalf, for caring so much about never forgetting Alan or other MIA's. I am hoping someday that we can somehow bring Alan (and all MIA's) home again.

I would especially like to thank Leigh Gunn, for adopting Alan as her "adopted MIA"; Lena O'Kelly, who still wears Alan's MIA bracelet; Sandy Kilgo for starting this page; Don Caldwell for his tireless effort; and special thanks to all who still remember and never forget our MIA's. Thank you all so VERY much!

If anyone has any information about Alan that they'd like to share with our family, please feel free to contact me at "".

We love you, Alan, and hope that you come home soon.

With warmest regards,
Jackie Riley


The Mission

On 12 Feb 1968, a UH-1H (hull number 66-17027) of the 50th Medical Detachment launched on a night medical evacuation mission from Ban Me Thuot, SVN, for the Gia Nghai Special Forces camp. The aircraft's crew consisted of Ban Me Thuot provided radar flight following for the flight, which was uneventful until the helicopter disappeared from radar about 20 minutes after take-off. At that time the aircraft was overhead a mountainous region of Quang Duc Province.

Airborne and ground searches were conducted in the area, but neither the helicopter nor its crew was found. The four men were placed in "Missing in Action" status.

Beginning in late 1973, the Secretary of the Army approved Presumptive Findings of Death for the aircrewmen, including Warrant Officer Alan Gunn (05 June 1978). As of 12 March 2002, none of the four men have been located.

Additional information is available on the
POW Network

Contact Us © Copyright 1997-2017, Ltd ®(TM) Last update 08/23/2017