Jeffrey Lyndol Harris

United States Air Force
28 May 1943 - 10 May 1972
Clinton, Maryland
Panel 01W Line 018



USAF Pilot

Purple Heart, Air Medal, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Jeffrey Lyndol Harris

29 Dec 2001

"To live in the hearts we leave behind,
is never to have died."
(Thomas Campbell, circa 1888)

From a comrade-in-arms,
Bob Buchholz
130 W. Clarke St. #6, Manchester, NH 03104
23 May 2005

I was a friend of Jeff's in high school. I lived across the street from him in Clinton, Maryland. He was a very committed young man, who wanted to fly and to serve his country. Some years ago, while in graduate school, I heard that he was missing in action in Vietnam. Later, I visited the memorial in Washington, D.C., and saw his name. Just today, having watched a documentary on American pilots in Vietnam, I searched for his name on the internet. I am glad to know that his remains were found and returned home. For many years I looked at a photograph I had of Jeff, sitting next to me on the couch in my home on Cheltenham Avenue, and I wondered where he was. Thanks to those who did not give up looking for him.

From a friend,
Thetis Cromie

28 Dec 2006

My father, Reg Mason, was best friends with Jeff. The two grew up together and even shared a dorm at the University of New Mexico. My parents were devastated when Jeff went MIA. I never knew him, but having his name is very special to me. He will always be remembered by my family.

From his namesake,
Jeffrey Harris Mason

27 May 2007

Jeff was my front-seater during RTU at Davis-Monthan in 1970-1971. I flew many, many times with Jeff. Jeff should have been a poster-model for U.S. Air Force pilots. He was a perfect gentleman, sweet, sweet personality, a great cook, and a cultured gentleman. Jeff was killed the day I left for Vietnam. I never got over it. I think about him almost every day. My prayer is that God took him in His arms and Jeff is enjoying eternity. I look forward to seeing him in Heaven.

From his friend and back-seater in the Phantom,
Scott O'Neal

Notes from The Virtual Wall

The North Vietnamese invasion of South Vietnam in the Spring of 1972 resulted in the resumption of air strikes against targets in North Vietnam. On the first day of the strikes, 10 May 1972, an F-4E PHANTOM (tail number 67-0386) flown by Captain Jeffrey L. Harris and Weapons Systems Officer Captain Dennis E. Wilkinson was shot down by a MiG-19. The F-4E erupted in flames, exploded and crashed. No parachutes were sighted or emergency beepers heard.

When the American POWs were released in February 1973, Harris and Wilkinson were not among them, nor did any of the released prisoners have any knowledge of them.

On 27 August 1978 the Vietnamese turned over human remains to Congressman "Sonny" Montgomery's delegation to Hanoi. On 11 September 1978 one of the remains was positively identified as those of Captain Wilkerson.

In 1993, 1995 and 1996 joint US-Vietnamese teams investigated the crash site. During the last excavation, they recovered human remains, personal effects, and crew-related equipment. While a portion of the remains could be individually identified as those of Captain Harris, there remained commingled skeletal remains which could not be positively associated with either of the two men. Captain Harris' remains were returned to his family for burial, and the unidentifiable remains were granted burial in American soil.

After more than 25 years, the two aircrewmen had come home.

From the
POW Network site.

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
a comrade-in-arms,
Bob Buchholz
130 W. Clarke St. #6, Manchester, Nh 03104

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index H
MD State Index . Panel 01W
13TH TFS Index

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 29 Dec 2001
Last updated 11/21/2007