Thomas Earl Hays
Warrant Officer
Army of the United States
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
October 12, 1948 to May 30, 1969
THOMAS E HAYS is on the Wall at Panel W23, Line 21

Thomas E Hays
usarv.gif 25idsm.gif 4thcavrgt.gif

26 May 2005

I first met Tom in basic training at Fort Polk in 1967 and from there I went to MP training in Georgia while he went for helicopter training. We wrote back and forth but I never saw him again after the last day of basic. While serving with him we became very good friends. I told him that last day that I would never forget him and he said the same to me! Well, here it is 38 years later. I was told he was killed on his first flight out on Memorial Day 1969. I am now 57 years old and have lived a good full life and I wonder often how your life would have turned out, my friend. I just wanted to let you know that I still remember you and I will always think of you and on this Memorial Day weekend 2005. I thank God for your service and your brief life and the opportunity to tell you I remember.

Former Sgt William L. Hayes
Owasso, Oklahoma

09 Sep 2006

To my friend, Tommy

I still miss you, unable to sing the Battle Hymn that we sang at your memorial service in Oklahoma City. You and Fred would have been my best men at my wedding in 1970. I wonder what your life would have been like. I loved you like a brother, and I still grieve every Memorial Day, and on your birthday, remembering our few years of friendship. Your mom and dad were proud of you, and I am proud of your commitment to your country in such a time as the Viet Nam War when so many others shirked their duties. Those were the days, my friend!


James E. Allman
8605 Lexington Drive, Rowlett, Texas 75089


A Note from The Virtual Wall

On 30 May 1969 an OH-6A (tail number 67-16387) was shot down in what was then known as "LOACH Alley" in Binh Duong Province. Two men are known to have died as a result of the incident:
  • CWO John M. Hohman, Lakeland, FL, pilot, and
  • WO Thomas E. Hays, Oklahoma City, OK, copilot.
CWO Hohman survived the incident itself, but died the next day from injuries received. The VHPA database contains the following commentary:
"That day I remember Mr. Homan was taking out a new warrant Mr. Hayes who we had just met, for some reason they took a information person with them instead of CE or gunner. I was on the flight line when the scramble siren went off. Capt Sinclair was motioning me to get in his Cobra, I did but did not have my helmet. We circled the aircraft they said two were dead but Mr. Hohman was up and about, I thought he would be alright. He died later. there was a lot of grumbling about the incident from most of us. Holman was flying in what we called Loach Alley on the 30th of May, with crew chief (sic) Hayes, and a PIO (Public Information Officer) from squadron, when his ship came under fire. The ship caught fire and went down, and all were badly burned. Hayes died from his burns that day. Holman had 2nd/3rd degree burns over 80% of his body, and bullet wounds, and died the next day. The PIO had 55% burns, but I do not know what eventually happened to him."
- from Jim Kreil
A search of the casualty database for the remainder of 1969 failed to identify anyone who might have been the "PIO" person.

Contact Us © Copyright 1997-2017, Ltd ®(TM) Last update 08/23/2017