Harry Daniel Jojola

Staff Sergeant
Army Of The United States
16 August 1948 - 07 April 1970
Santa Clara, CA
Panel 12W Line 103

Danny Jojola


Combat Infantry

Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Harry Daniel Jojola

14 Nov 2001

In loving memory of our brother,
Harry Daniel "Danny" Jojola

From his sister,
Mary Barger
05 Dec 2001

Harry Daniel Jojola, called "Danny", was a member of 1st Plt, C Co, 3rd Battalion, 22nd Infantry, 25th Infantry Division, "The Regulars".

On 7 April 1970 our company attempted to assault a U-shaped wooded area from an open field at the front edge of the southern portion of the Straight Edge Woods at XT179293; we were opposed by an unknown number of North Vietnamese Army (NVA) troops. On this date First Platoon was led by 1LT John E. Hill, who was an Army Ranger. They were to cover the left flank. A few yards into those woods the point man (SP4 Michael Paulsen) was killed by one NVA soldier and the LT was wounded in one leg. Danny attempted to pull the LT out of the woods by the ankles but was unable to due to the LT being caught in some vines from his web gear. Danny went back to get help and then Danny and another soldier tried again to pull the wounded LT out. Danny asked the LT to lift himself a little bit to help clear the vines he was caught in. When he did this, the NVA soldier opened up with a full clip of AK-47 fire ending the lives of the LT and Danny.

Second Platoon (my platoon) formed on line and opened up at the known location where the NVA soldier was thought to be. We called in the Air Force to napalm the front of the woods which killed several NVA snipers but not at the left side of the woods.

A "Dust-Off" (medivac) helicopter was called in, but it was shot down and it began to burn. With the exception of the pilot (1LT Douglas G. MacNeil, 159th Medical Detachment), all of the crew was able to get out of the crashed UH-1 (hull number 69-15038), but all of them had multiple bullet wounds. Only the on-board medic was not wounded.

That night we pulled back and set up for a night time ambush. The NVA pulled out in a long single file. We had no artillery support and only one single Air Force plane came in to drop one bomb to no affect. The NVA went into Cambodia which was only a few meters away.

On the morning of 8 April 1970 second platoon members tied ropes to the ankles of SP4 Paulsen and 1LT Hill and pulled them out thinking they might have been booby trapped. Someone reported they saw a hand hanging out of a bunker at this location which is assumed to have been the NVA sniper. Since our fallen men were not booby trapped, they were carried out to the field along with Danny and SP4 Dale Erdman to wait for a chopper to pick up their bodies. Unknown to many of us, the Huey pilot's body had been left in the burning helicopter the day before; he had been killed by a single bullet wound to the head.

On 7 April five men were taken away from us forever including the Huey Dustoff pilot. A memorial service was held at our Tay Ninh base camp a few days later. Danny received the Silver Star for his brave efforts. He served his country and Company C well and is remembered for giving his life in an attempt to save another.

This event is remembered by all of Company C that was there and is often talked about at our reunions every two years.

From another soldier in C/3/22d Infantry,
Gary A.Harding

A memorial from his sister,
Mary Barger
14 Nov 2001

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index J
CA State Index . Panel 12W

Contact Us

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)