Orvin Clarence Jones, Jr

Lieutenant Colonel
17TH TFS (WW), 388TH TFW, 7TH AF
United States Air Force
17 May 1939 - 27 September 1979
Newport News, Virginia
Panel 01W Line 001



USAF Navigator

Purple Heart, Air Medal, National Defense, Vietnam Campaign, Vietnam Service

The database page for Orvin Clarence Jones, Jr

18 July 2002

I had a POW/MIA Bracelet with Major Alan Paul Mateja's name on it.

Today I found out that Captain Orvin Clarence Jones, Jr. was in the plane with Major Mateja when it went down. For years I have considered Alan part of my family, remembering him and his family in my prayers. Today, I added a new member to my family. I am humbled, saddened and grateful for these two men (and the thousands of other men and women) for the sacrifice they and those who love them have made.

There are no words to convey my feelings, my thoughts and my gratitude.
"Thank you" is not enough. God Bless you.

Ellen Glass
E-mail address is not available.

19 Apr 2004

Mr Jones, as I knew him, was a family friend that we knew in Germany when he and my father were stationed there. I have always had the highest regards for him. I was a very young man in those days and he and his wife were very kind to me. I remember them with great fondness and prayed for his return. As time marches on we find ourselves knowing very little more than what we know now. Thank you, Mr Jones, for your service to our country. Thank you for giving of yourself and for your sacrifice. You are not forgotten.

From a friend,
Don Kelly Jr
116 Mountain High Drive, Antioch TN 37013

12 Aug 2004

I have a bracelet with Major Orvin C. Jones' name on it. It lists the date of 4-16-72. I have worn or carried this bracelet for 19 years and have often wondered what happened to Major Jones.

I was an Air Force dependent stationed in Athens, Greece, when another military member had two bracelets and I immediately asked to wear one in honor of the Vietnam Vets. My father was in the Air Force and served two tours in Vietnam. Thankfully, my father returned home to us and continued to serve in the Air Force until 1988, when he retired.

I wish to locate any member of Major Jones' family and return the bracelet of the man I have often thought of these past 19 years. I am grateful for the internet to which so many sites are dedicated to out veterans, especially those from Vietnam. Any information about him would be greatly appreciated.

God bless these United States and all that defend her.

Michelle Churchill-Rolf

26 Apr 2006

Orvin C. Jones and my father Orvin Bragg Jones were first cousins. My grandfather, Melvin R. Jones and his father, Orvin C. Jones, Sr. were brothers. They had a sister, Muriel Jones (still living in Richmond, VA) and another brother, Willis. Unfortunately, I do not remember him, but I do remember well when my father received the call that the plane had gone down. His father, Orvin, Sr., I do remember well, and he was always very good to my sister and me. Although we have always been quite sure he did not survive, we have always wondered if he might have, or more likely, what happened to his remains. My aunt Muriel (mentioned above) was very close to him and still speaks of him often. I live in the Washington, DC area and proudly show his name to friends and guests that I take to see the Wall.

From a cousin,
Kevin C. Jones

Notes from The Virtual Wall

During the North Vietnamese spring offensive in 1972, Allied air power was called on to turn the tide. The U.S. Air Force response to the invasion was immediate as B-52 Arc Light missions and tactical air attacks intensified during brief respites in the weather. The invasion was checked, but the lessons learned lead to Operation Freedom Train against targets south of the 20th Parallel, and later to Freedom Porch Bravo against targets in the Hanoi/Haiphong area.

The first wave of Freedom Porch Bravo strikes began on April 16,1972, and achieved respectable success over the highest threat areas within North Vietnam. The first wave consisted of B-52 strikes supported by Navy and Air Force tactical air.

The second and third waves, composed of TACAIR assets, followed up with attacks on ten other targets in the Hanoi/Haiphong areas. Enemy reaction to the strike penetrations were formidable, but largely ineffective. Even though more than 250 SAMs were launched and heavy anti-aircraft artillery fire was reported, only two TACAIR losses occurred. Two Air Force personnel were missing as a result.

Captain Alan P. Mateja (pilot) and Captain Orvin C. Jones (WSO) were lost when their F-105G crashed in the Haiphong Harbor area. Although immediate SAR efforts were fruitless, there was a possibility that one or both crewmen escaped the crippled aircraft and they were declared Missing in Action.

When the American POWs were released in 1973, Mateja and Jones were not among them. They still are unaccounted for.

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
one who remembers,
Ellen Glass
E-mail address is not available. 18 Jul 2002

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index J
VA State Index . Panel 01W
17TH TFS (WW) Index

Contact Us

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Last updated 11/13/2010