Raymond Stanley Joy, Jr

United States Marine Corps
19 October 1942 - 16 December 1965
Abernathy, Texas
Panel 04E Line 018



Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Raymond Stanley Joy, Jr

11 Sep 2001

The Wall

Tonight I visited "The Wall" yet never moved so before.
I wept and touched the traveling wall, many years ago along
Corpus Christi's shore.

But tonight I visited "The Wall" with Corky - Irby Dyer III and
Raymond Stanley Joy, Jr. never knowing these men until now,
my brother-in-law Mike, knew them well.

Cousin and brother each so young, at 23 lost a year apart.
As Christmas was about to make a peek, their families back home never
again to hear them speak. Thank God "The Wall" will carry them on!

Twenty-four years later, Austin, a nephew arrives.
With Stanley's smile and same blue eyes.

What will we teach him? Will he have a clue?
Disturbing words we hear in disgust, "What were we doing there?"
I think to myself, "Ask those who went thinking not only of
themselves but of us."

So, young and full of life yet, gave it all,
that we could carry on, in spite.

God bless those young men and women
Who loved us so, now cradled forever in God's loving fold.

From a family friend,
Sheryl Prestidge
E-mail address is not available.

11 Nov 2002

Stanley and I were classmates at Abernathy High School. He was a friend. And he is missed, I have thought about him for years. I just wish I could tell him "THANK YOU" for serving our country, and making this country what it is...

Joel Murray
Class of 1961
E-mail address is not available.

23 Jun 2006

On May 26, 2006 my wife and I visited the memorial in Washington and we were both moved to tears at the site of Stanley's name.

He was a family friend and though I was only 16 when his life was cut short, I still to this day think of him.

God be with him and all the others who serve us.

Thank you, Stanley.

From a friend,
Mike Thames

A Note from The Virtual Wall

The 1st Force Recon Company's Command Chronology for December 1965 contains the operations order and after-action report for the mission on which Corporal Joy and three other Americans died. According to OpOrd 4 dated 13 Dec 1965, the mission was a joint USMC/Special Forces effort which involved
  • 11 Marines from the 1st Force Recon Co
  • 1 Army Special Forces sergeant
  • 68 indigenous troops from the Ba To Special Forces camp (Det A-106, 5th SF Grp)
  • Two CIDG companies at Camp An Thai as a reaction force.
The force was to be inserted into an area near Hill 508 in Quang Tin Province, establish a base camp, and conduct patrols in an effort to locate a regimental HQ of the 325th NVA Division. The forces departed at 0530, 14 Dec 1965, the base camp was established atop a hill at BS640329, and three recon teams began their work in the area. The teams spotted a number of armed enemy troops and located several staging and supply camps but avoided any engagements with the enemy. By 1730, 16 Dec, the recon teams had returned to the patrol base and the force began preparations to return to Ba To at 0600, 17 Dec.

At about 1900 two mortar rounds landed on the north side of the hill - but that was only the beginning of a vicious mortar attack accompanied by a ground assault by 150-200 VC and NVA troops. The friendly force was unable to establish a coherent defensive perimeter and lacked sufficient manpower to both defend the portions of the hill still held and counter-attack the areas captured by the VC/NVA. When it became apparent that the hilltop could not be held, the allied force broke into small groups and withdrew into the surrounding jungle with the intent of evading back to Ba To.

The withdrawing troops dribbled into the Ba To Special Forces Camp throughout 17 and 18 Dec. By the 19th there were 25 men still missing - 4 Marines, 1 Special Forces sergeant, and 20 CIDG troops. At first light on 21 Dec a force of 7 Marines, 4 Army Special Forces troops, 3 Australians, and 120 indigenous troops departed Ba To in search of the MIAs. The recovery effort was not opposed and 14 bodies were located - 4 Americans and 10 South Vietnamese. Thirteen bodies were extracted by helicopter at 1330 - but somehow the body of Army SFC Grayson West was left behind. He was recovered by a second mission on 22 Dec 1965.

In the meantime, one Marine and a number of South Vietnamese MIAs had made their way back to Ba To. Four Americans had been killed in the operation:

  • 2nd Platoon, 1st Force Recon Company
    • Cpl Raymond S. Joy, Abernathy, TX
    • LCpl William R. Moore, Richmond, CA (Silver Star)
    • LCpl Ronald P. Sisson, Hulberton, NY (Silver Star)

  • Det A-106, 5th Special Forces Group
    • SFC Grayson J. West, Webster City, IA (Silver Star)

The photo was provided by Donald Callely, who went through recruit training with Raymond Joy at MCRD San Diego in 1963. It is taken from the recruit "yearbook".

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
a family friend,
Sheryl Prestidge
E-mail address is not available.

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index J
TX State Index . Panel 04E

Contact Us

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 11 Sep 2001
Last updated 11/13/2010