A Note from The Virtual Wall
The Headquarters, 1st Marine Division, compound came under attack during the early morning hours of 23 Feb 1969. The Headquarters Battalion's Command Chronology contains the following entry:
"The Division Command Post perimeter came under enemy ground attack at several locations. The defense line was penetrated at two locations and it was necessary to commit the reaction company and one of the provisional rifle companies to counterattack and restore the lines. Artillery fire was delivered to seal off enemy withdrawal and HU-1E gunships were called in to strafe the hillside behind the Division CP.
"Casualties: Enemy: 18 KIA and 1 POW. Friendly: 9 KIA and 29 WIA."
The Virtual Wall is able to identify ten men assigned to HQ Battalion, 1st MarDiv who died on 23 Feb - but it is possible that one of them was not involved in the attack on the Division Command Post. The ten men were
- SSgt Robert M. Lough, Moundsville, WV, HQ Company (Silver Star)
- HM2 Jose A. Ollivier, Covina, CA, HQ Company
- Cpl Paul J. Mitchell, Mahanoy City, PA, Service Company
- Cpl John P. Ziegler, Altoona, PA, Service Company
- LCpl Pete G. Heckwine, Des Plaines, IL, HQ Company
- LCpl Christopher D. Prather, Minneapolis, MN, HQ Company
- LCpl Victor A. Rabel, Wheaton, MN, Service Company
- LCpl Woots E. Wadkins, Sciotoville, OH, Comm Company
- Pfc William E. Null, Williamson, WV, HQ Company
- Pfc Larry D. Staggs, Black Rock, AR, HQ Company