Martin John Massucci

United States Air Force
01 November 1939 - 09 February 1978
Royal Oak, Michigan
Panel 02E Line 101



Martin J Massucci

USAF Pilot

Purple Heart, Air Medal, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Martin John Massucci

Dear Martin,

I have had your bracelet since 1968 when I was 14 years old. I wore it for many, many years. It is now packed away in a drawer and I take it out from time to time and think about you. I visited the "Wall" in Washington in 1995 and found your name. I was never really sure if you had ever been found or if you were still missing in action.

You would have been 62 this coming November and I have always felt a great sadness that you never had the life that you had dreamed about when you were very young. I wish there was a picture of you on this "The Virtual Wall" so that I could always have your face to remember when I look at my bracelet.

We are now facing the possiblity of another war and I know that you would approve. I am very proud of you and the sacrifices that you gave for us - for our freedom, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Susan A. Cook
Lake Forest, CA

09 Jul 2006

Major Massucci, your bracelet was constantly on my wrist through college and in my early adult years. While the Vietnam War memories may have faded as time passed, your name has been on my lips and in my heart all this time.

Your contributions and selflessness in serving our country will never be forgotten, as long as I am alive.

Thank you,
Amanda Sherwin
Southampton, NY

07 Apr 2008

I too have a bracelet with Martin's name. I no longer wear it. I keep it in my jewelry box and come across it most every day. I am thankful to all the men and women who have served our country and secured our freedom. God bless America and all those who have served in the past and present.

Jeannette Page

24 May 2008

Dearest Martin, I also have a bracelet that bears your name. I wore it as a teenager and never removed it until it finally broke in half. I still have those two halves and always thought they represented the way my heart felt about you, torn in half. I prayed for you and your family daily, hoping that you would return home again. I pray that you know I will never forget you or the sacrifice you made for our country. I hope to meet you in heaven one day and say hello and thank you and give you a big hug. This is Memorial Day weekend and I will be remembering you especially.

God Bless all our servicemen past and present.

Kimberly J. Strickland
1439 Mcneal Hobbs Road, Bunnlevel, N C 28323

08 Jul 2008

Major Martin Massucci ... I wore your MIA bracelet for many years. When the first one wore out, I obtained a replacement. I thought of you often during that time. I have often hoped that your family now had some peace of mind about your death. I have never forgotten your name, the image I created of you, or your ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom. Rest in Peace.

Mary Haug
E-mail address is not available.

Notes from The Virtual Wall

On October 1, 1965, Captain Charles J. Scharf, pilot, and 1LT Martin J. Massucci, co-pilot and WSO, flew as the second section lead in a flight of four F-4C aircraft assigned a strike/road reconnaissance mission about 79 miles west-northwest of Hanoi, 15 kilometers from the border of China and near Ban Puoi airfield. Shortly after departing Ubon RTAFB in Thailand GATOR 1 declared a mechanical malfunction and returned to base. Scharf, as the next senior aviator in GATOR 3, took command of the flight and continued on the mission.

The flight approached the primary target at low level to avoid surface-to-air missile emplacements, conducting a "pop-up" maneuver to identify the target for dive-bombing. While GATORS 3 and 4 could not ID the target and hence did not drop, GATOR 2 did release ordnance on what he believed to be the strike target. The three aircraft became separated after the pop-up manuever, with GATOR 3 heading north, GATOR 2 heading south, and GATOR 4 joining on GATOR 3.

As GATOR 4 approached GATOR 3, he saw GATOR 3 take hits from anti-aircraft fire. GATOR 3 broadcast a MAYDAY call and the aircraft began to trail fire. GATOR 3 was seen to jettison his external stores, and one parachute was seen. Although GATOR 4 was able to keep GATOR 3 in site until ground impact, they lost sight of the parachute as it descended behind a hill.

Combat Search and Rescue was initiated, but no emergency beeper signals or voice radio calls were heard from the downed crew. Upon conclusion of the SAR effort both men were placed in "Missing in Action" status.

There was some information which indicated that Captain Scharf had been captured, but no real evidence to that effect was developed. When the American POWs were released (February 1973), none of the ex-POWs had any information about either Scharf or Massucci.

Eventually, the Secretary of the Air Force authorized Presumptive Findings of Death for now-Colonel Scharf (9 Jan 78) and Major Martin Massucci (9 February 78). Although they went down in North Vietnam proper, as of 10 July 2006 their remains have not been repatriated (check our PM-SEA pages for current status).

There is additional information on the
POW Network
and the
Task Force Omega

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index M
MI State Index . Panel 02E
8TH TFW Index

Contact Us

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 27 Sep 2001
Last updated 08/10/2009