Bradley Rogers Ransom
United States Air Force
Barlow, Kentucky
November 04, 1942 to October 08, 1969
BRADLEY R RANSOM is on the Wall at Panel W17, Line 52

Bradley R Ransom
usafseal.gif 7thaf.gif 460trw.gif


On 8 October 1969, the crew of "Prong 33", an EC-47P (tail number 43-49100) were reported MIA while on a tactical mission; they remained as MIA until 14 October when, as a result of evidence received at HQ Air Force, their status was changed to killed at the time of the incident as the result of non-hostile circumstances.

-- The Virtual Wall

History of Flight - Prong 33, EC-47, SN 43-49100, was scheduled for a classified combat mission emanating from Phu Cat Air Base, Republic of Vietnam on 8 October, 1969. The proposed departure time was 1440 hours local time with an estimated time enroute of 7 hours total flying time. The flight crew was observed arriving at the Squadron Operations building at around 1250 hours. The pilot, 1st Lt Knight, discussed fuel on board and field weather with the duty officer. Flight briefing lasted approximately 30 minutes.

The flight left at 1450 hours and was on a radio direction finding mission out of Phu Cat Air Base. At 1510, Prong 33 called Prong Control and reported returning to base because of Doppler radar problems. The pilot landed at 1530 hours. After landing, the navigator informed maintenance personnel that the weather radar was also inoperative. The air crew stood by the aircraft while the Doppler was repaired but they were informed that the radar had a major problem and would take a longer period of time to repair. Pilot then went to Prong Control (SOC) and requested relaunch instructions stating the weather radar was out and the weather was bad. The Assistant Operations Officer told him to try to reach the flagged area but return before dark if the weather becomes a problem.

The aircraft re-launched into marginal weather. Upon arrival in its operating area, the pilot in command determined that the weather conditions were unsafe and turned back toward Phu Cat. Prong 33 was given a radar-controlled approach to Phu Cat, but as the aircraft approached the airfield the crew reported an inverter fire and loss of directional and attitude instruments. Shortly after that call at 1930 hours, radio and radar contact with Prong 33 was lost. Additional vectors and lost contact instructions were transmitted on all frequencies (i.e, UHF, VHF, Guard & beacon) by the Controller. Prong 33 did not acknowledge any of these transmissions.

Bad weather hampered search and rescue operations and the wreckage was not located until four days later, 12 October 1969 and the Air Force changed the missing status to killed at the time of incident. Six aircrewmen died in the crash. They were:

Full information on circumstances of this accident is available on the EC-47 website.

-- The Virtual Wall

Contact Us © Copyright 1997-2017, Ltd ®(TM) Last update 08/23/2017