Terry Pete Redic

Lance Corporal
United States Marine Corps
30 January 1948 - 16 June 1966
Anderson, Indiana
Panel 08E Line 054


Terry P Redic

Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Terry Pete Redic

28 Apr 2002

As 1st Recon Bn stands and looks at Panel 08E we see another Marine lost on Hill 488.

C Co, 1st Bn, 5th Marines, answered the call for help that night 36 years ago.

L/Cpl Terry Redic came to the aid of and gave his life for the Marines on Hill 488.

From the "Old Ones of 1st Recon Bn" we say "THANK YOU, Brother!"
To his family - we share your loss, and share your tears.

Hill 488 will remain in the History of the Corps
and 1st Recon Bn.

A memorial initiated by a fellow Marine,
Randy Kendall

24 Dec 2002


by his family.

From a niece,
Penny Riggs

Terry Redic, Christmas Eve, 1965

Swim Call - Terry Redic center, squad leader Jim Bean to his left.

Hill 488 on the Wall

The men of Hill 488 on the Wall

21 Apr 2004

After 36 years of questions, The Virtual Wall has allowed some of my questions about Terry's death to be answered.

I pray for you Terry every January 30, after all you were my first real boyfriend.
I remember you with great fondness and I thank you for your sacrifice.
It still makes me very sad, even after all this time.
Thank you for the box of candy on Valentines Day, 1963.

From a friend,
Susie Metzger Huxtable

A Note from The Virtual Wall

The battle on 15/16 June 1966 on Hill 488 (Nui Vu) involved a full battalion of North Vietnamese Army regulars assaulting 18 men of the 1st Platoon, C Company, 1st Recon Battalion, led by Staff Sergeant Jimmie Earl Howard. The Recon Marines had established an observation post atop Nui Vu in order to identify and prosecute by remote fire VC/NVA forces operating in the mountains west of Chu Lai.

The operation was sufficiently effective to get the NVA commander's attention and sufficiently dangerous for him to commit a fresh battalion to eradicate the Marines. They failed.

The NVA assault on Hill 488 began in late on 15 June 1966 and continued through the night. The beleagued Marines were assisted by Marine and Air Force helicopter and fixed wing air support, but it was sheer courage and determination that permitted the Marines to hold until morning. Charlie 1/5 Marines were airlifted onto the reverse slope of Hill 488 and relieved the Recon Marines. Of the 18 men in the Recon Platoon, 6 died and 12 were wounded. Two men of Charlie 1/5 Marines and one each from VMO-2 and VMO-6 (Marine UH-1 squadrons) died. One Medal of Honor (Staff Sergeant Howard), 4 Navy Crosses, and 15 Silver Stars were awarded.

Immediately after the battle, Captain F. J. West, USMCR, interviewed men from Howard's platoon, Charlie 1/5, airmen from the squadrons which supported Howard, and others. In 1967 the History and Museums Division, Headquarters, U. S. Marine Corps, published his account of the fight on Hill 488. Captain West's account is available on The Virtual Wall at

HILL 488

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
his niece,
Penny Riggs
28 Apr 2002

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index R
IN State Index . Panel 08E


With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Channing Prothro, former CAP Marine
Last updated 04/22/2004