Donald Lynn Wann
Chief Warrant Officer
Army of the United States
Shawnee, Oklahoma
May 31, 1937 to June 01, 1971
DONALD L WANN is on the Wall at Panel W3, Line 63

Donald L Wann
101abnsm.jpg 101avngp.gif 158cab.gif


A hero comes home.

CW2 Donald Wann's remains have been found and identified.

Donald's daughter Shannon will fly to Hawaii for the repatriation ceremony which has not yet been scheduled. She will escort him home to his beloved Oklahoma via the Tulsa airport.

CW2 Wann's "homecoming" service will be held on Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM at the Southeast Baptist Church, 2511 E. Hancock St. in Muskogee, OK, 74403.

He will be interred at the Fort Gibson National Cemetery at 1423 Cemetery Road in Fort Gibson, OK 74434 at 11:30 or 12:00 depending on the church service and the 15 mile travel time.

An American Legion post will provide a lunch and reception for family, friends, and out-of-town guests. (details TBD)

Shannon asked Kay Guynes to coordinate and organize all the riders/cars for anyone that would like to help in escorting her dad from the airport to the funeral home/cemetery. Kay has graciously accepted to help, so if anyone has questions on where to meet, staging etc. you may contact Kay Guynes at 918-906-1913 or 918-486-7770 or 918-906-5115 or

This announcement will be updated as details are available. Depending on settings on your computer, you may need to press F5 while viewing this page to see the latest changes.

27 Jul 2003




From an earlier incident.


A Note from The Virtual Wall

On 1 June 1971, a multi-aircraft force extracted a Ranger team from a landing zone in western Quang Tri Province, about 5 miles east of the Lao/SVN border. After the team had been extracted, one of the escorting AH-1G gunships was tasked to destroy munitions that had been left on the ground.

The Cobra rolled in from about 1500 feet, descending to about 40 feet as it approached the firing point. Just before weapons release, the aircraft was hit in the underside by enemy fire. Escaping fuel caught fire and the aircraft nosed up, gaining perhaps 150 feet before descending in a vertical right turn to ground impact. The AH-1 hit on a steep slope, skidded downhill for about 100 feet, and burned.

Radio calls made in the few seconds between the time the Cobra was hit and ground impact were not answered, and the crash itself was not survivable. The two crewmen of AH-1G tail number 68-15002 were declared killed in action; their bodies could not be recovered. The men were

Contact Us Copyright© 1997-2010, Ltd ®(TM) Last update 07/22/2010

Contact Us © Copyright 1997-2017, Ltd ®(TM) Last update 08/23/2017