Gerald Anthony Wilson
Specialist Five
Army of the United States
Hilton, New York
October 13, 1944 to August 12, 1968
GERALD A WILSON is on the Wall at Panel W48, Line 4

Gerald A Wilson
ARGT-12THAVNGROUP.png ABN-214THAVNBN.gif 191stahc.gif

A Note from The Virtual Wall

On 12 Aug 1968 the 191st Assault Helicopter Company was conducting operations in support of the 1st Brigade, 9th Infantry Division. After a rather full day of flying four aircraft were released to return to Bear Cat. The VHPA database contains the following description of what occurred.

"The flight picked up passengers that were returning to Bear Cat and White 5 [UH-1D 66-00820] loaded six passengers, then the flight departed for Bear Cat at approximately 1650 hours. The flight was at 1500 feet in a diamond formation with White 5 in the slot. Approximately 10 minutes out of Dong Tam White 5 transmitted, "White 5 going down, tail rotor failure." The aircraft was observed to descend in a relatively level attitude with the main rotor turning very slowly. The number two aircraft in the formation, flown by aircraft commander CW2 Wiegman, broke from the formation and followed the aircraft down. The aircraft struck the ground in a slightly nose low attitude in a rice paddy with apparently very little forward motion. The aircraft commander and the pilot were pinned in the wreckage by the instrument panel. The passenger compartment was on fire. An attempt was made to extract the personnel from the burning wreckage and one passenger was removed but was apparently killed upon impact."

The ten men who died in the crash were:

As noted, only one body could be removed from the wreckage before the fire made further rescue efforts impossible - that was SFC Merlin H. Bergan. The remains of the other nine men were recovered the following day, 13 Aug, and seven of the Americans were identified within a reasonable period - but SSG Lonnie Tullier's body could not be positively identified. He was carried as Missing in Action until 30 April 1973, when a positive identification could be made.


Prior to joining the U.S. Army, Gerald grew up in Hilton New York, where he attended Hilton High School, graduating with the Class of 1964. After High School, Gerald was employed by the Eastman Kodak Company, until he was called up for Military service.

Gerald was 23 years old at the time of his death, and was survived by his parents Gertrude M. (1911-1983) and William T. Wilson (1911-1983), and his brothers William B. Wilson and John C. Wilson of Hilton New York.

SP5 Gerald Anthony Wilson is buried, along with his parents, in Parma Union Cemetery, Parma, Monroe County, New York.

Gerald A Wilson Gerald A Wilson

- - - The Virtual Wall, September 10, 2016

Contact Us © Copyright 1997-2017, Ltd ®(TM) Last update 08/23/2017