Index of Vietnam War Casualties by Unit of Assignment
The Virtual Wall uses the Coffelt Database (CDB) for unit assignment information.
Once a unit assignment has been determined, a link to the individual's memorial page is included in the appropriate Unit Index. In general we index the memorials at the lowest practical unit level.
(1) GROUND FORCE PERSONNEL, including Army aviation, generally are indexed at the Regimental level but there are exceptions. The following general rules are observed:
- Division level indexes are used for Division HQ and minor assigned unit personnel
- Brigade level indexes are used for Brigade HQ and minor assigned unit personnel
- Aviation Group level indexes are used for Group HQ and minor assigned unit personnel
- Aviation Battalion level indexes are used for Bn HQ, minor assigned units, and Aviation Companies which stayed with a single Battalion throughout their time in Vietnam
- Separate Battalion indexes are used for Battalions not assigned to a Regiment
- Aviation Companies that served with two or more Aviation Battalions while in Vietnam are indexed separately
- Specialized units such as the SeaBees, Scout Dog and Combat Tracker units, Navy SEAL/UDT, etc., usually are indexed under the next higher command.
(2) AVIATION UNIT PERSONNEL in the Navy, Marines, and Air Force are indexed at the
- Squadron level when possible
- Air Group or Air Wing level when necessary
- At other levels when appropriate for Headquarters and minor assigned unit personnel
(3) NAVAL PERSONNEL, other than aviation personnel, are indexed by
- Commissioned ship name (i.e., "USS WHATEVER")
- Task Force level (TF 115, TF 116, TF 117) for personnel assigned to the riverine and coastal forces
- Naval Support Activity level for the shore establishment
- Fleet Marine Force unit for Navy personnel assigned to FMF units
- SEAL/UDT and SeaBee personnel are indexed under the next higher command