Notes from The Virtual Wall
The following is exerpted from the
New Jersey Vietnam Veterans' Memorial
John Alfonso was born on September 22, 1946. He entered the US Marine Corps from New Brunswick, NJ and attained the rank of Lance Corporal (LCPL).
Alfonso was killed in action on July 19, 1967. He is buried in St. Peter's Cemetery in New Brunswick, NJ. He was survived by his wife, Elizabeth, and a son, John, Jr.
Alfonso was awarded the Purple Heart, the National Defense Service Medal, and the Vietnam Service Medal.
The New Jersey Memorial consists of one panel for each day of the year, with the names of those who died engraved upon the appropriate panel. The panel for 19 July contains the names of five men:
Although the first three men died on the same day, they were involved in different actions. The fifth man, Staff Sergeant John Gertsch, listed his Home of Record as Russell, Pennsylvania, but he was born in Jersey City. One can do no wrong by including a Medal of Honor recipient.
- 1966 - Cpl James Beschen, Wildwood, NJ, 3/9th Marines
- 1966 - Pfc Sim H. Riggins, Newark, NJ, Hotel 2/4 Marines
- 1966 - PFC Stephen A. Zukov, Carteret, NJ, A/2/503rd Infantry
- 1967 - LCpl John Alfonso, New Brunswick, NJ, A/3rd MT Bn, USMC
- 1969 - SSG John G. Gertsch, Russell, PA, E/1/327th Infantry (MoH)