Arthur Wyman Ball

Shipfitter 3rd Class
United States Navy
11 February 1948 - 23 April 1968
De Kalb, Texas
Panel 51E Line 035


Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Arthur Wyman Ball

22 Dec 1998

I remember Arthur W. Ball. I remember when he reported aboard the AOG-8. He called himself "Jerry".

He was a good sailor and a solid shipmate. He died at his battle station on 23 April 1968.

To this day I still remember him and am proud to have served with him. In my heart he will always remain a shipmate.

He is forever twenty.

Jerry's family can reach me if they wish.

A memorial from a friend,
Ronald V Bravo

20 June 2002

He was a man who would lay it all down for Family, Friend or Country.
I am proud to say he is my brother. He gave his very life so others
can live theirs freely.

From his sister,
Jean Moreau
E-mail may be forwarded via the

03 September 2002

I was the last person to speak to Ball the night he died.
He was coming across the catwalk and I was on fire watch.
He looked up and ask me if he was ready to go.
He was being sent home in two days as his time in the Navy was up.
I told him he was ready to go and then we came under attack.
He died dogging down the hatch he walked through after he left me.

Russell H. Waddell, YNC USN (Ret)
USS GENESEE 1967 - 1969
401 2nd Avenue SW, Greta Falls, MT

13 Aug 2005

Art was a good friend and a good shipmate. The night he died he actually pushed me out of the way, to secure the door. It was then that he was mortally wounded. He died in my arms. I shall never forget him as long as I live.

From a shipmate,
Bryan Bucci

Notes from The Virtual Wall

USS GENESEE (AOG-8) was commissioned in 1943, serving in World War II and in Korea. Small by modern standards, the 4,100 ton gasoline tanker was well-suited for coastal and river operations in Vietnam. Her first deployment to Vietnam was in the early spring of 1965, and she made five more deployments to Southeast Asia over the next five years.

In April 1968 GENESEE got caught up the Cua Viet River at low tide and came under very heavy enemy fire. The shelling continued most of the night and the GENESEE was extensively damaged. SF3 Ball was killed during the attack. Afterwards, GENESEE steamed under her own power to Subic Bay where she was in dry dock for 41 days undergoing repairs.

Visit the

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
a friend,
Ronald V Bravo

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index B
TX State Index . Panel 51E

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 22 Dec 1998
Last updated 11/07/2007