John Charles Filippi

Private First Class
Army of the United States
06 April 1949 - 06 December 1967
Seven Hills, Ohio
Panel 31E Line 044


Combat Infantry

Bronze Star (Valor), Purple Heart, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for John Charles Filippi

10 Jun 2004

John, I think of you often and will remember you forever.

E-Mail may be forwarded via the

30 Jul 2004

Thank you for taking such good care of my sister, Sandy, in high school, and for always making sure she got home and to work safely. She misses you and thinks of you and hurts for you. You were a good friend and a wonderful person.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice to our country. You will always be remembered and deeply appreciated.

I pray you left the flames of war to find eternal peace.

With much love,
Carol Pavlik
Parma, Ohio
E-Mail will be forwarded by the

A Note from The Virtual Wall

The 199th Infantry Brigade arrived in Vietnam on 10 Dec 1966 and for nearly a year operated in the rice-paddy country around Saigon. That changed on 04 Dec 1967, when the Brigade established Fire Support Base NASHUA about 17 kilometers north of Bien Hoa Air Base. NASHUA was located in hill country that was covered with double- and triple-canopy jungle, an area which had been controlled by the Viet Cong for years. The 199th's move north was intended to locate and destroy NVA/VC forces and to disrupt the NVA/VC infrastructure. Although NASHUA itself was located in a relatively large cleared area near Ku Tru Mat village it was surrounded by jungle.

Recon teams from F Co, 51st Infantry had begun conducting recon patrols several days before the four companies of the 1st Bn, 12th Infantry arrived by air assault on the morning of 04 Dec. By nightfall FSB NASHUA was a going concern; artillerymen from C Btry, 2/40th Artillery had their howitzers in place and D Troop, 17 Cavalry's armored personnel carriers had arrived by road march from FSB HANOVER, 12 kilometers to the southwest. On the morning of 05 Dec 1/12 began its patrols around the new fire base. While 1/12 had little contact on that day, two patrols from F/51 did make contact 4 kilometers south and southeast of NASHUA - and had one man killed in the contacts.

At dawn on 06 Dec NASHUA received 20 to 25 mortar rounds from the southeast. The 1/12 commander responded by sending two platoons from Alpha 1/12 out to locate the mortar sites. Charlie 1/12 was sent on patrol to the west, Echo 1/12 was sent to the north, and 1/12's remaining forces concentrated on construction at the fire base itself.

The enemy made their presence known by ambushing D/17 Cav's morning road-clearing patrol from FSB HANOVER. The ambush was initiated at a point where the cavalry's five ACAV vehicles were forced into column; the VC destroyed the leading and trailing ACAVs with command-detonated mines, leaving the remaining three trapped in a killing zone. 1/12 responded by airlifting two platoons from Bravo 1/12 into the area; the infantrymen dispersed the enemy but two cavalrymen had been killed and others wounded. After medevacing the dead and wounded the combined force turned back toward FSB HANOVER.

As the day progressed both Echo 1/12 north of NASHUA and Alpha 1/12 to the southeast made contact with enemy forces. While Echo 1/12 encountered only small groups of NVA/VC (but enough to cost two dead), the 78 men from Alpha's two platoons ran into a hornet's nest - a well-constructed, well-manned VC battalion base camp hidden under triple-canopy jungle.

Alpha 1/12's initial contact rapidly degenerated into a vicious close-range firefight, with Alpha's forward elements pinned in place and in desperate need of fire support and reinforcement. 1/12's ability to respond was limited - Charlie and Echo Companies were on patrol, 2 platoons from Bravo Company were with the ACAVs, and NASHUA itself could not be left undefended. Charlie and Echo were recalled, but could not be of immediate assistance. Five D/17 ACAVs and the remainder of Bravo Company moved out at 1515 [3:15 pm]. Outside reinforcements also were made available - Alpha Company 3/7 Infantry was airlifted to the north of the base camp with instructions to conduct a flanking attack to the south. Although helo gunships, fixed-wing aircraft, and artillery support all were available, their effectiveness was limited by the jungle canopy - who was where? - and the available munitions ... 20-millimeter strafing and 105mm howitzer high-explosive shells failed to make much impression on the enemy bunkers. The contact began and would continue as an infantry fight.

Once Bravo 1/12 and the ACAVs linked up with the surviving elements of Alpha 1/12 (17 men of the original 78 were still functional) they were prepared to renew the attack. Because the two US elements - the 1/12 elements and Alpha 3/7 - were not in physical contact their movements had to be coordinated via radio. Attacking from the north, Alpha 3/7 did manage to penetrate to the center of the base camp before being forced to withdraw. The 1/12 attack did not penetrate the enemy's inner perimeter but did allow recovery of additional wounded before withdrawal. As night fell, the two groups established defensive perimeters and cut mini-landing zones so their dead and wounded could be evacuated. Although enemy assaults on the defensive perimeters were expected, they failed to materialize.

At dawn on 07 Dec the base camp area received heavy attacks by air and artillery supporting fire, followed by a ground assault - but there were no live NVA/VC to be found. The enemy had withdrawn from the camp, disappearing into the jungle. They did leave 62 hastily buried bodies behind - and they had executed wounded Americans who had fallen within the base camp's perimeter.

The fighting had cost the lives of 26 Americans - one from F/51 Infantry on 05 Dec, 24 killed in the actions on 06 Dec, and one who died of wounds on 07 Dec. The American dead were

  • A Co, 4th Bn, 12th Infantry
    • SGT Gary G. Hahn, San Gabriel, CA (Silver Star)
    • SGT William H. Pruitt, Pedro, OH (Bronze Star "V")
    • SP4 Eugene Zeigler, Montgomery, AL (Bronze Star "V")
    • PFC John C. Filippi, Seven Hills, OH (Bronze Star "V")
    • PFC David M. Midcap, Fort Morgan, CO (Bronze Star "V")

  • E Co, 4th Bn, 12th Infantry (north of FSB NASHUA)
    • PFC Robert O. Buckner, Irving, TX (Bronze Star "V")
    • PFC Joseph L. Reynolds, Bellevue, WA (Bronze Star "V")

  • HQ Co, 4th Bn, 12th Infantry
    • SP5 Teddy G. Whitton, Paragould, AR (Silver Star)
    • PFC Durward A. Limbacher, Farragut, IA (Bronze Star "V")

  • D Troop, 17th Cavalry (2 KIA in ambush, 3 KIA at the base camp)
    • PSGT Alfred Dugger, Warren, OH
    • SP4 Ronald R. Hammerstrom, Harris, MN (Bronze Star "V") (DoW 07 Dec)
    • SP4 Kevin M. McGovern, West Brookfield, MA
    • PFC Charles E. Brown, Thorne Bay, AK
    • PFC Clayton M. Spainhower, Fort Myers, FL

  • F Co, 51st Infantry (southeast of FSB NASHUA 05 Dec 1967)
    • SGT Daniel H. Lindsey, Orlando, FL

  • A Co, 3rd Bn, 7th Infantry
    • 2LT Gary R. Clark, San Francisco, CA (Silver Star)
    • 2LT John W. Sognier, Savannah, GA (Silver Star)
    • MSG Guy M. Finley, Norfolk, VA (Silver Star)
    • SGT Mario Moreu-Leon, Ponce, PR (Bronze Star "V")
    • CPL Robert J. Bawal, Marine City, MI (Bronze Star "V")
    • CPL Douglas L. McLoud, Prattsburg, NY (Bronze Star "V")
    • CPL Robert A. Pretty, Raleigh, NC (Silver Star)
    • CPL Daniel K. Puhi, Honolulu, HI (Bronze Star "V")
    • PFC Solomon W. De Hart, Lebanon, PA (Bronze Star "V")
    • PFC Thomas O. Harper, Philadelphia, PA (Bronze Star "V")

  • HQ Co, 3rd Bn, 7th Infantry
    • PFC Robert L. Pultz, Toledo, OH

Army Pfc. John Charles Filippi, 18, son of John B. and Margaret (nee Cook) Filippi, 7401 Cricket Lane, Seven Hills, had been in Vietnam 28 days when he was wounded fatally on Dec. 6, 1967, near the Cambodian border. In letters to his parents, the former Parma High School student told them his infantry unit had just been flown to a point near the border where they had engaged the enemy briefly and that his unit had made several helicopter flights into the jungle to fight. Pfc. Filippi and the other soldiers were searching for North Vietnamese forces and found the area laced with caves and tunnels. After joining the Army in May 1967, Pfc. Filippi attended basic and advanced infantry training and a jungle warfare school before shipping out to Vietnam. Pfc. Filippi was the brother of Mrs. Patricia Ann McMillen, Dennis, Cynthia and Deborah. He was born April 6, 1949. The family lived in Parma before moving to Seven Hills in 1965. He was the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Cesare Filippi and Mrs. Stella Cook. Mr. and Mrs. John B. Filippi were presented Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals for their son.

Pfc. Filippi is interred at Holy Cross Cemetery.

Information as gathered from the Cleveland Press & Plain Dealer, Dec 10, 11 &12, 1967, March 7, 1968.

Taken from the
Cleveland Veterans' Memorial site

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
a High School best friend,
Sandra L. Kalmbach
E-Mail may be forwarded via the

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index F
OH State Index . Panel 31E
12TH INF RGT Index

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 10 Jun 2004
Last updated 09/15/2007