Patrick Joseph Magee

Specialist Six
Army of the United States
22 September 1946 - 07 April 1976
Alder, Montana
Panel 05W Line 022

Army Aircrew

Purple Heart, Army Commendation, Good Conduct, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign

The database page for Patrick Joseph Magee

19 June 2005

Patrick was known by "Joe" in the service. He was a great human. An honorable man with many service awards. Joe was the greatest son ever. He was an elder son in a family of 10 children. He took his role as older brother very seriously. Not only did he send funds home monthly to assist his family, but he extended his stay in Viet Nam to spare a younger brother the horrors of war. Joe was a hero in any term. He lived for his country and for his family. Had this crash not happened in January, he would have returned stateside in February. Joe loved his duties on the helicopters and shared many stories about his world travels. He loved being a soldier, his friends and his family. Joe was not average at anything, he excelled at his work, his family and his friendships. It has been 34 years since we lost him, but the memory of his gentle kindness, that quiet laughter, his awesome loyality and strength of honor still carries us today.

Kathi Wenz

16 Mar 2007

As time marches forward, you remain forever young in my mind. Do you know of the sorrow and of the joys your family has experienced? Would you still be at war? We would love to know what happened to you, but maybe it is better to keep the memory of you as it is. I pray that your spirit helps us to bring our troops home. I love you.

From his sister,
Riessa Short

A Note from The Virtual Wall

At about 0900 03 Jan 1971 a U-6A BEAVER (serial #52-25884) departed Qui Nhon on an administrative support flight to Ban Me Thuot, South Vietnam, carrying crewmen from the 61st AHC to collect replacement helicopters for the company. The helicopter crewmen would then fly the helicopters back to Qui Nhon.

At 1120 hours, with the U-6 about 14 miles southeast of Phu Cat, radio and radar contact with the plane was lost. Because the pilot, Captain F. A. Rhodes, had announced plans to remain overnight at Ban Me Thuot, no immediate search was made. When search efforts were begun on 5 January, no trace of the aircraft or its seven occupants could be found. Formal search efforts ended on 9 January 1971.

The seven men aboard the U-6 were placed in MIA status. As time progressed, the Secretary of the Army approved Presumptive Findings of Death for them and on the dates in parentheses below their status was changed to "Died while Missing". Their remains have not been repatriated.

  • MAJ Ferris A. Rhodes, Greenwood, SC, pilot, HHC, 223rd Avn Bn (08/14/1978)

  • 61st AHC crewmen (passengers)

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index M
MT State Index . Panel 05W
61ST AHC Index

Contact Us

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 25 Aug 2005
Last updated 08/10/2009