Bruce Richardson

Specialist Five
Army of the United States
21 May 1949 - 31 May 1970
Bellport, New York
Panel 10W Line 127

Army Aircrew

Bronze Star (Meritorious), Air Medal, Army Commendation, Navy Commendation, Good Conduct, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign
Bruce Richardson

The database page for Bruce Richardson

01 Jun 2002


by a comrade-in-arms.
02 Jul 2002

My name is John O'Rourke.
I was Bruce's bunkmate in 1st platoon of the 120th. I was a door gunner at the time. I loved Bruce and have visited him at the Wall.
God bless.

20 Aug 2005

It's been 35 years since I've seen you...

I married Fred in February of 1971. We have two sons, Frederick Jr. and Kregg Lee. Kregg looks a lot like you.

Frederick Jr. has a wife, Carisa, and a son, John, and 2 daughters, Keona and Maelee. Maelee looks a lot like you. They all live in South Carolina, which is where I will be in 2006.

Mom has passed and so has our sister Donna. The rest of our family is still in New York.

Looking forward to hearing more about you, due to this memorial.

God Bless...

From his brother-in-law and sister,
Frederick C. and Adele R. Squires
386 Patton Avenue, Shirley, N Y 11967

12 May 2006

The picture above is exactly how I remember Bruce. I was the crew chief on the helicopter that went in to recover the bodies. It was very hair-raising as there were enemy all around us. The only support we had was two "Razorbacks" that kept station over us the entire time we were down, there were no ground troops. Air Force recon photos that night showed there were 4000-5000 NVA based right around where Bruce's helicopter went down. There were also two twin .51 caliber antiaircraft gun sites set up, but since their ship was in bad condition we could not verify any bullet damage. There were tremendous thunderstorms in that area at the time they should have flown through it and that is the reason the crash was written up as a non-hostile loss. I myself have always wondered what the real truth was, but it doesn't really matter. Bruce's family lost a great brother that day, and he was a good guy.

From a brother crew chief and friend.

Remembered 31 July 2007

It is so hard to believe it has been so long since Bruce passed and that he would have been 58 now. I am 2 years older. I met Bruce through Bob Perino, who lived across the street from Bruce in Bellport. He used to spend time with our rock band and helped Bob and me at our local dances, we were the "Melo Kings". He always encouraged us. As a matter of fact, the first "gig" we ever played was at his party.

I went in the Army on 31 July 1967 and was lucky enough to get out alive in 1970. Moved to California in 1977. I have always thought of Bruce and have had a print-out of this site on my office wall for several years. In my mind, he will always be 17. Now, I have a grandson who is 17.

The most discriptive thing I can say about Bruce is that he was a Great Guy! He is still missed and will always have an honored place in my memories and my heart.

From a friend,
Serge Masholie
2310 Del Mar Road, Montrose, Ca 91020

A Note from The Virtual Wall

The 120th Assault Helicopter Company was tasked with transporting an Air Force airfield inspection team to Bu Prang, O'Rang, Bu Dop, Loc Ninh and the return to Saigon heliport. At 0725 31 May 1970, DEAN 528 took off from Long Binh for Saigon to pick up the team. Upon departure from Saigon, the UH-1H (tail number 68-16528) carried nine men:
  • Aircrew, all 120th Assault Helicopter Company
    • CWO John C. Burris, El Dorado, AR, pilot
    • WO James D. Griffin, Blackshear, GA, copilot
    • SP5 Bruce Richardson, Bellport, NY, crew chief
    • PVT Robert P. O'Brien, Whittier, CA, gunner

  • Passengers
The trip was uneventful. At approximately 1625 hours DEAN 528 departed Loc Ninh in light rain, between two thunderstorms, on a heading of 200 degrees. DEAN 528 was not seen or heard from again.

DEAN 528's failure to establish radio contact for flight following purposes prompted radio and telephone searches to locate the aircraft. By midnight it was clear that the aircraft had gone down, but weather conditions precluded airborne SAR until about 10 AM on 01 June. An OH-6A found the missing aircraft at approximately 1330 hours, and a 120th AHC UH-1H landed to recover the bodies of the nine servicemen.

The point-of-contact for this memorial is
his sister,
Adele R. Squires
386 Patton Avenue, Shirley, N Y 11967

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index R
NY State Index . Panel 10W
120TH AVN CO Index

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Memorial first published on 01 Jun 2002
Last updated 03/07/2008